[Simh] Thoughts on combining individual scanned pages

David Holland david.w.holland at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:02:22 EDT 2016

tiffcp works much better for myself as well, and gives me (relatively)
complete control over the process with a reasonably straight forward
command line.

I scan at 300 & sometimes 600dpi.  ImageMagick likes to run out of
memory at those resolutions.

14 TIF Files: 6600x5100+0+0 1-bit Bilevel Gray 67.1KB   (on average.)
 976K total - A rather small number of files IMO.

ImageMagick Convert:   (convert *.tif output.pdf)   Fails due to lack
of free memory:
[1159515.038485] Killed process 1462 (convert) total-vm:2551240kB,
anon-rss:1414896kB, file-rss:509048kB

(Yes, there are ways around that, but meh why would I want to have to
remember "-limit memory 64 -limit map 128" to every time I run the
command? - Have you seen my typing?)

tiffcp:
-bash-4.3$ tiffcp *.tif output.tiff
-bash-4.3$ tiff2pdf output.tiff -o output.pdf
-bash-4.3$ ls -l output.pdf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 XXXXX XXXXX  920748 May  6 17:51 output.pdf

No problem at all.

I can control the bit depth, and the compression methods applied to
the tiff file (and indirectly the PDF) with a fair amount of ease.

The only catch is you sometimes need to remove tags from the TIF
files.  Particularly tag 297 (Page Number), lest your PDF get
confused.   tiffinfo, and tiffunset are your friends in those cases.

YMMV, of course.    Please feel free to ask questions - presumably off
list - if anyone wants further details.

David