[Simh] The lost disk of the PDP-15

Bob Supnik bsupnik at comcast.net
Thu May 5 16:43:23 EDT 2016

Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse had a number of PDP-15s, including
XVMs. Some are still be in the hands of a private collector. However,
that person is unwilling to share materials, particularly software kits,
from his collection.

If the RP disks follow normal SimH practice, then they are simulated as
data files, without metadata. A PDP-10 RP would have blocks of 128 x
36bit words, each word right justified in a 64b container; a PDP-15 RP
would have blocks of 256 x 18bit words, each right justified in a 32b
container.  For interchange, the two simulators would have to adapt a
common container size. Alternately, the disk could be buffered in
memory, and the format adjusted at attach (as is done with DECtapes).

/Bob