[Simh] PDP-15/76

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu May 5 15:07:30 EDT 2016

On 05-May-16 13:27, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 5/5/16 3:01 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:
>
>> I didn't have much luck with tumble (some time ago); it tended to
>> complain about the tiff input formats.
>>
> There was a long thread about this on cctlk. the problem is the program
> mixes the use of read() and stdio assuming the buffer pointers stay in sync.
> This works on Linux and Windows, but not on BSDs (incl OS X)
> It has also been hacked on by three (four including me) other people now, and Eric hasn't picked
> up the changes.

Whether that was my issue is lost in the depths of time - I use LInux
and it didn't work reliably for me.  Certainly mixing file descriptors
and streams is dangerous.  To the extent that it "works" beyond
switching open() to stream with fdopen, it's an extension to the C
standards.  (It's even uglier when a file is open for read & write.)
The main issues are discussed at
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_05.html#tag_02_05_01
and
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Stream_002fDescriptor-Precautions.html#Stream_002fDescriptor-Precautions

Eric's website hasn't been updated since 2003, and the links for its svn
repo are dead.  The last activity on the mailing list was in DEC 2006.

If it's being maintained, it would be a good idea to setup a new
repo/distribution point and merge the improved versions.  It doesn't
seem like a good idea to recommend the old website when it seems to have
gone stale...

FWIW, ImageMagick is a more comprehensive tool, and is actively
maintained.