[Simh] EXT :Re: RSTS and slow DECnet operation in SIMH

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed May 4 04:18:27 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-04 01:15, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> Many of the older OS systems create rather small buffers for Ethernet packets, and do not handle the fast real-time receive rates of 100Mbps and 1000Mb Ethernet in the simulators very well.

I would prefer if you said "few" instead of "small". There is a
difference, and the issues you describe are more related to the numbers
than the size.

Older machines, like the PDP-11 many times also create rather small
buffers, since protocols like DECnet could be tuned to use smaller than
1500 byte packets. This did not prevent the hardware from receiving 1500
byte packets, but such packets would then use several buffers, that are
chained.

Also, the capacity limitations are often tied to hardware, and not the
OS. The bandwidth of a Unibus is only a couple of Mbit/s, so a 10 Mbit/s
ethernet can produce data faster than the hardware can ever deal with
it. There is some local ram on the ethernet controller, which can deal
with a few packets, but after that, the controller will drop packets.

That said, even if you keep the rates at what the hardware can deal
with, there isn't enough processing power around to work through the
packets fast enough to give memory back to the controller at that rate
either.

> This was due to:
> 	1) the OS expectation of being able to service the (maximum, never seen) Ethernet 10Mbps/sec buffered packets within the time frame allowed

That was not an explicit expectation. The OS will process the packets as
fast as it can.

> 	2) the OS expectation that packets not buffered (dropped) would eventually be retransmitted at some point by delivery protocols, which have an implied ACK/NACK delay

This is true of all protocols, even today.

> 	3) Limited physical memory was available for Ethernet packet buffering.

True. But that is, as I said, not the only limitation.

> Simulator speeds (for PDPs and VAXen) and modern network speeds are so fast compared to the original hardware that frequently the OS Ethernet buffers are just too small for efficient network packet processing. OS-side inefficiency can be addressed by patching the OS with larger Ethernet buffers. Emulator-side inefficiency can be fixed by "limiting" the Ethernet emulation speed by throttling it down to a speed more appropriate to the OS buffer processing rates. But this may cause extra dropped packets, which will likely be "fixed" by protocol retransmission.

Well, I disagree with several claims here.
As the simlator speed increases, the OS can process packets faster, and
thus return the memory back to the controller faster, thereby enabling
higher data rates. This is not a problem, but in fact just allows higher
transmission rates without any problems. And once more, the size of the
buffers are not the issue. The number of buffers are. But on RSX, this
do not appear to be an issue. RSX also do not need any patching to
utilize the network as much as the OS possibly can.
So, in short, RSX is an example that contradicts several of your statements.
There is one issue that I have seen with RSX, and that is if you have a
very fast machine (such as a simulator) talk to a very slow machine
(such as a real machine) using DECnet, and that is that DECnet behaves
very bad when you have high packet loss. Yes, DECnet will retransmit
data, but the timeouts keep increasing, as every time you start
retransmitting, DECnet sends a burst of packets, and the hardware just
can't receive the whole burst, and drop some, causing the timeout to
increase again. Transmission speeds essentially drops to abmyssal values
using DECnet for this reason. The only solution to that is to pace the
transmission from the fast machine, so that the slow one do not drop
packets. Drops not only happen because you run out of buffers, but also
because switches drops packets since we're talking about converting from
100 Mbit/s or GbE down to 10 Mbit/s ethernet. If you just keep blasting
at full speed, the switches will have to drop packets. There is nothing
to avoid this. So it's not even something you can blame, or deal with,
at the slow machine.

I've written a TCP/IP for RSX. It uses the DECnet ethernet drivers, and
TCP/IP just deals better with packet loss, so with TCP/IP such pacing is
not needed.

> The goal of early networking was to send and receive packets, not network efficiency. It wasn't until near-line-rate 10Mbps Ethernet and 100Mbps Fast Ethernet that network drivers started to think about efficiency by creating larger buffers, and network efficiency wasn't really fully implemented until 1G Ethernet became supported by (some) OSs, because it forces much larger buffers and better processing algorithms.

I would not agree with that. Network efficiency is not something new. It
was very much something they though about back then as well. In some
ways more than now, since the hardware resources were so much more
limited, which forced them to try and be efficient, or else the
performance became really bad.

> Later model network cards started implementing Early Receive and Early Transmit Interrupts, so that the card could "help" the OS understand that the buffers were almost exhausted and needed to be processed immediately .

I can't comment on that idea much, as I don't know how it works. But I
can say that such a solution would not help one bit in RSX. The PDP-11
ethernet cards give an interrupt as soon as there is at least one
received packet to process. And the software can process all received
packets at that one interrupt, and RSX does that. Additional interrupts
cannot make this any better. If you are running out of packets, it is
because the controller is then producing packets faster than RSX is
consuming them, but RSX is consuming them as fast as it can at that point.
As far as transmit interrupts go, you only get an interrupt when
transmits are finished. If you add packets while transmit is ongoing,
your new packets will also be transmitted without any more work on the
host side. And you can add packets while transmit is in progress. There
is no point in additional transmit interrupts.

> C-Kermit was able to solve a lot of the synchronous packet transfer inefficiency by creating asynchronous "sliding window" transmission acknowledgements for both serial and network communications, which replaced the synchronous send-ACK/NACK cycle with asynchronous send1-send2-send-3/ACK-1/send-4/NACK-2/send-2(retransmit)/ACK-3/send-5, etc. sliding window scheme. It was astounding how much faster the sliding window algorithm was than the original Kermit. Note that some network protocols also have a similar asynchronous ACK/NACK processes.

The is not a C-Kermit thing. Sliding window protocols are old, and it's
been in Kermit for a long time.

DECnet also implement a sliding window protocol, as do TCP. I would
expect that almost any "modern" networking protocol have sliding windows.

The problem that Paul Koning discovered with RSTS/E are very specific to
RSTS/E. No reason to apply that to all software and hardware from that era.

	Johnny