[Simh] EXT : simh on openvms (to get a VAX on top of an OpenVMS Itanium) >> network issue

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Mar 28 11:12:53 EDT 2016

Hi Gérard,
Are you running the same version of OpenVMS on both the rx2660 which worked and the rx2880 which didn’t?
I asked if you’ve observed any packets making it to the wire.  Did you check that?
One way or another there may be a problem putting packets on the wire, there may be a problem receiving packets from the wire, or Both.
Dave’s comment:
> Just as a guess, does the newer rx2800 use TOE (TCP Offload Engine) network cards or use jumbo packets? That could change the “standard” Ethernet packet behavior enough that PCAP-VMS may no longer work.
This might indeed be a factor if the kernel interfaces to pass data to the TOE are different than the interfaces which the drivers is using.
The current sim_ether code is completely tolerant of jumbo packets and/or interactions with a TOE as long as the packet capture interface can actually get data (at least for IPv4 traffic, IPv6 is a round-tuit project).
If there is a TOE in the picture, maybe there is a mechanism to disable it which would hopefully get the desired kernel interfaces to be used and let pcap_vms work…

-          Mark