[Simh] simh on openvms (to get a VAX on top of an OpenVMS Itanium) >> network issue

gérard Calliet gerard.calliet at pia-sofer.fr
Sun Mar 27 18:36:39 EDT 2016

Hello,

I need help for pcap-vms. I use (vax-)simh on top of OpenVMS (VSI)
Itanium i4.

I tested vax-simh (simh 4.0 beta) and pcap-vms on OpenVMS on an Itanium
rx2660, and it worked fine.

On OpenVMS i4 (rx2880), with exactly the same configuration, and images,
I can see my NICs from the simh prompt (sho eth), I can attach a device
(attach xq0 ethn), assign it a mac address, and my VAX-VMS on top of
simh sees the emulated device, can send data, but does not receive anything.

Can you give me advice, way of tracing the problem, hypothesis ?

I tried to boot the OpenVMS host in startup_p1 MIN, to test if I get the
same problem when there is no network software on the host (like DecNet,
or Tcpip), and the problem remains.

I rebuilt the pcap-vms from scratch on the i4 host, and the problem remains.

Do you think there could be an hardware issue, like the NIC which cannot
work in promiscuitus mode ?

Any help should be welcomed,

Gérard Calliet