[Simh] networking support

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Fri Mar 18 16:39:37 EDT 2016

Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:

> Well, the DEUNA/DELUA was originally added to the PDP10 simulator due to
> rumors about there being software support for the DEUNA on the KS10
> processor. Subsequent information made it clear that there was actually
> never any such Support, so it was removed from the PDP10 simulator in
> simh 3.9

I played around with a KS10 with a DEUNA or DELUA installed in the
late 1990's, writing the beginnings of an IP stack for it.  With
the combination of problems keeping that machine up and running and
the release of simh/pdp10 I decided to give it a try, and late 2001
I wrote the *INITIAL* deuna/delua simulation so that I could continue
with the IP stack.

There are many reasons why the stack is still not "quite ready", but I
have not given up, au contrare.

Currently (since I have also started running KL-based emulations) I
have decided to rename my Tops-10 driver to unxser.mac, and started
on doing i4eint.mac to interface with the "normal" Tops-10 ethernet
layer.  This way the stack will be possible to run on both KL and KS
based systems.  Using DEC ethernet on both, if Tim's unaser comes to
life, giving the KS DECnet and LAT over ethernet as well...

In my opinion the simh/pdp10 should include the deuna/deula, with
the default being disabled.  Not totally excluded as it is now.

--Johnny E.