[Simh] [SimH] Networking support

Bill Cunningham billcun at suddenlink.net
Sat Mar 12 17:09:06 EST 2016

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Clem Cole
  To: Bill Cunningham
  Cc: SIMH
  Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Simh] [SimH] Networking support

  Bill,

  You probably need to date things a little and get a some perspective of where a few of us are coming.   Just to set a few lines in the sand.  While 3Mb/s "xerox" ethernet has been around for about 5 years, the DEC/Intel/Xerox Ethernet 10Mb/s spec was published Sep 30, 1980.   Per RFC 801, Arpanet was not officially schedule to switch from the old NCP to IP until Jan 1, 1983 (although a number of folks like me had been working with what would become IP/TCP for 3-4 years before that).

      Oh Wow. I have always been told Jan 1st 1981 and they went from "Link Control Protocol" to TCP/IP. Must've been wrong then somebody was.

  [...]