[Simh] [SimH] Networking support

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 12 16:33:47 EST 2016

On 2016-03-12 20:36, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> What I meant was that I remember on early PCs using an rs232-c line for
> using the old BBSes and compuserve before it was an ISP. 10 cents a
> minute. I had several modems 300, 1200 and 2400 baud modems.

Oh, certainly. RS-232 connections were used for that a lot too.

>      These even older machines may have had hookups within a company.
> Even one building connecting 5 or so machines. Serial would've worked
> fine. And was what was used. I was thinking with maybe 4-5 PDP8s a
> company would use some kind of networking. Perhaps not back then. I was
> only aware of pdp11 and vax being "network possible". I guess I was wrong.

Well, if we talk networking as in using some protocol to communicate
between machines, there have been plenty of different technologies.
RS-232 is one obvious one. There have also been others. The point is,
networking itself is a software thing. You need some kind of connection
between the machines, which can carry bits. But everything beyond that
is software.

	Johnny