[Simh] Mounting simh disk files in Linux

Joshua Overmiller overmiller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 05:45:53 EST 2016

To everyone.  Thanks for all the advice and help.

I've gotten through the network issues and I'm using the NAT solution.

Basically, I didn't RTFM closely enough and was using SIMH v3.90
assumptions during the build. (i.e.  Don't use the USE_NETWORK flag on
linux as it will call all libraries at run time).

So I've got a nice OpemVMS 7.3 hobbyist system going and I can telnet/ftp
into it.
At the moment I have created backup image savesets of DKA200 and DKA300
from the physical VAXstation 4000.  I was lucky that I had enough disk
space on those disks to do this.  From there, I've zipped the save sets and
transferred them to our network.  Next week I'll be setting up the SIMH
envoriment from scratch, then restor the save sets to disks on SIMH,

Before I try to boot from those disks, should I mount them with OpenVMS 7.3
and try to search for all references of DKA200 and DKA300 and replace them
with DUA0 and DUA1?  Sort of  do a SEARCH command to find all strings
"DKA200" or "DKA300" and replace them with corresponding "DUA0"/"DUA1"
strings?

I'm keeping notes on all my steps so hopefully I'll have a nice little
write-up on the whole migration and set up of the SIMH environment after
everything is done.

Cheers,

Josh
.