[Simh] Release of the HP 3000 Series III simulator

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Tue Mar 8 22:59:30 EST 2016

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 23:33, Sergii Kolisnyk wrote:

> I'm curious, why don't use the (user-mode) emulator included in PA-RISC
> MPE as the reference for writing portable system-mode one?

HP was only interested in forward-compatibility, from earlier systems to
the later ones.  The user-mode emulator, called Compatibility Mode (or
"CM") was provided to allow users to move quickly from the classic 3000s to
the Precision Architecture machines.  The full power of the new machines
would only be realized when users recompiled all of their applications into
Native Mode ("NM") code.

The classic and PA systems were entirely different -- different machine
instruction set, different I/O interfaces, different hardware model (stack
vs. register and CISC vs. RISC).  A system-mode emulator would have been
very complex and would have served no purpose for HP, who wanted to sell
new hardware, not let users run the newer MPE versions on older systems.

(From the SIMH standpoint, writing a simulator for the older 3000s is much
easier than for the newer ones, as they are much better documented.  Prior
to about 1980, HP hardware manuals contained full schematics and theories
of operation.  After that, the manuals degenerated into block diagrams and
then finally into no servicing or internal information at all.  If a unit
failed its self-test, the serviceman was called, and he swapped circuit
boards until the unit worked again.  The later manuals are essentially
useless in helping to write a simulator.)

                                      -- Dave