[Simh] how do settings help simh

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sat Mar 5 15:00:47 EST 2016

Hi Bill,

> set nvr filename

Actually this is probably: attach nvr filename.

That connects the simulated non-volatile RAM of the motherboard to some non-volatile place to store the info the motherboard will put there.

The only thing the VAX simulator actually stores there is the default system boot device so if the system is configured to auto-boot it will know what device to boot from.

> set cpu 64m

Tells the simulator how much RAM the simulated system will have (64MB).  The VAX simulator can have various RAM sizes from 16MB up to 512MB.

> set cpu idle=vms

This tells the simulator that the OS you're running is VMS and to detect the system idle patterns that VMS uses to sleep when the system isn't doing anything (as opposed to simulating instructions which have no useful purpose but waiting for something to happen).  Simulating instructions will keep your host computer somewhat busy when it needn't be.

-          Mark