[Simh] running on Debian

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Fri Mar 4 13:41:19 EST 2016

On Fri 04 Mar 2016 at 18:10:18 +0100, Peter Svensson wrote:
> Bridged virtual interfaces is what you use for other virtual machines,
> why not simh?

Linux has the EXTREME annoyance that once you connect an interface to a
bridge, it stops being usable as an "internet endpoint". In other words,
your internet connection is suddenly broken. That means that to fix it,
you have to transfer all your settings to the bridge. That is IPv4
address, IPv6 address, firewall rules that may apply, the lot.

That in turn makes bridges completely unsuitable for casual use. If you
want to use them, better set up your system permanently with a bridge,
so at least the casually attaching a simulator to it is doable.
(And doing that confuses NetworkManager...)

See
http://www.microhowto.info/troubleshooting/troubleshooting_ethernet_bridging_on_linux.html#idp87072

Whoever thought this idiotic setup made sense, I don't know. I do know
that the BSDs work much more sensibly.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'