[Simh] KS10 IMP documentation

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Mar 4 09:46:37 EST 2016

All --

First, while watching the Bo'Sox game last night, I did a quick look @ the
document, took off the binding and started to scan it.   I am about 1/2-3/4
way through the scanning process. I know there were a few errors with
miss-feeds in my HP scanner, so I'm going to look at each page before I
pass it on to everyone to make sure we have it all and it's readable.

Just to set proper expectations for the list, I have a large STEM oriented
engagement that I'm running/hosting for about 250 young people all day
tomorrow and Sunday PM, some family commitments Sunday evening, so I'm not
sure if I will complete the scanning process for a few days, as my "free
time" is being eaten up (The Science and Tech Expo is something I've been
working on for over a year, so it is my high order attention bit at the
moment).

Second, I did peek at the document during the scanning process.   As I had
correctly remembered, the appendix *does* seem to include the post C30 IMP
info -- although the front matter does not (which has pics of original IMPs
connected to an ASR33).   My guess is that the front portions of the
document was never rewritten or re-photographed.  What the folks @ BBN seem
to have done was remove outdated appendices and add/rewrite the affected
ones.

The fact that I no longer have the '76 version of the document is that at
some point during a move, I must have felt anything that was needed was
included in this version.  I have not compared to the online version in
Al's archives, to see the connect from the appendices were that were
removed.     The point being, anyone on this list that wants to do a
re-engineering project probably need to look at the '76 or earlier version
since that is likely to be what DEC CSS used to create the PDP-10 interface
like we had at my time at CMU.    That said, the Vaxen at UCB were attached
via a C30 (as opposed to the original Ing70 system), so that interface
would have had to be compliant with the document I have in my possession.

Third, specifically to Al - "bitsavers".  My apologies, mei culpa.  I never
claimed to get an 800 on the English part of the SAT ;-)   Between
dyslexia, being a very poor typist, and Apple's auto-magic spell
check/correct, I messed up.  I did not intend to offend and will try to use
the proper attribution in the future.

That said, please do let me know offline on how to get the bits to you -
ftp, dropbox, google or the like.  And what you want - the raw scans from
my HP (which includes OCR of the index) or after I merge the different
scans (which for some reason I have not yet figure out causes the OCR stuff
that HP inserts to be lost when you laminate the even/odd pages into a
single scan.    i.e. please tell me what works best.  As I said, I will try
to get this done reasonably soon, but I have some other commitments.

Clem