[Simh] Mounting simh disk files in Linux

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Mar 3 11:05:57 EST 2016

On 03-Mar-16 09:35, Joshua Overmiller wrote:
> I've built the ods2 tool and ods2reader from http://www.vms2linux.de/
> in order to try to read the simh disk files.
>
> However, trying "ods2 mount d0.dsk" responds with "Mount failed with
> 2312".
> Trying "ods2reader -l d0:[000000]"  gives:
>     d0:[000000] -- Bad block in file
>     d0:[000000] --- Cant't read index file header on d0
>
> d0.dsk corresponds to DAU0 which is a RA92 disk.
>
> Note there were some warnings when building both tools, but they both
> build.
>
> For ods2:
>
> ods2.c: In function ‘main’:
> ods2.c:1165:13: warning: ‘gets’ is deprecated (declared at
> /usr/include/stdio.h:638) [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
>              if (gets(str) == NULL) break;
> ods2.o: In function `main':
> ods2.c:(.text.startup+0x2d5): warning: the `gets' function is
> dangerous and should not be used.
>
> For ods2reader:
> Various warnings about implicit declaraions of builtin functions
> strlen, strcpy, and strcat.

Networking is your best option at this time.  It shouldn't be very
difficult to get running.

ODS2 has serious issues - as it turns out, reworking is is a subtask of
my current project.

The public version (the one you found) reads better than it writes - but
it has memory
corruption issues and problems with certain pointers in the Files-11 ODS.

Actually, writing is a disaster - don't try it.  It has two modes:
corrupt the disk and
crash.

You can try mounting an image on an loop device (losetup -rfv file &&
ods2 mount file), but
you'll run into problems.  Especially with disks as large as an RA92.

I have a version that will read a simulator image directly as well as
physical devices.

    It seems to read individual disks OK, at least on windows and Linux.

    Volumesets are a work in progress, but improving.

    If you just mount a disk, take directories and read files, it works
    most of the time.

    But there are still bugs that will take quite some time to work
    out.  Errors (and dismount) are problematic.

I can push a snapshot to my repo on github, but it's very much a work in
progress & make no guarantees.

No ETA on a stable version - the more I look, the more I find to fix....
and the most annoying stuff turns out
to be involved.  If the snapshot would be useful to you, contact me
off-list.

I haven't done anything with ods2reader.  If relies on a strict
interpretation of the Files-11 spec, it needs
the physical disk geometry, which isn't in simulator disk images.