[Simh] Zork for ITS [was: Klh10 vs Simh]

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Mar 1 04:28:10 EST 2016

On 2016-03-01 02:29, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Bob Supnik <bob at supnik.org
> <mailto:bob at supnik.org>> wrote:
>
>     MDL sources for Dungeon are online here:
>     http://simh.trailing-edge.com/games/zork-mdl.zip
>
>     /Bob
>

> ​Thanks Bob.  While its different then trying to get MDL run again, if
> you want to be a retro gamer -  I believe the Fortran version of Zork
> (called Dungeon), plus the the original Fortran Adventure sources are in
> the same directory: http://simh.trailing-edge.com/games/.   The Fortran
> versions are known to compile and run with the current Intel compiler -
> which to quote Rich Grove: "has a bunch of the DEC (Gem) compiler DNA
> ground up and injected into it."

You know that Bob is actually the author of DUNGEON, right? :-)

And it was originally done on PDP-11 with (I think) FORTRAN-IV PLUS,
eventually ported over to F77. And I ported the latest version back to
RSX F77 (many years ago now). The only thing I had to fix is that PDP-11
F77 do not have dynamic length strings, so that required a bit of
hacking around, but the rest worked just fine.

	Johnny