[Simh] [OT] What's the difference between the 1990 Brunner VAX Architecture book and the Leonard from 1987?

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Thu Jan 28 13:24:48 EST 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:15:59 -0500
Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Jan 28, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You'll get better answers if you're more explicit with your references.
> > Paul took at guess at what you meant. I'm going to make a different
> > guess.

Both guesses were good enough. I don't have the printed books in front of
me and the sites I was buying from were missing basic stuff like the year
and ISBN in some cases. It was hard to cross reference it. I winged it and
bought the Leonard book because the price was right and I saw it mentioned
a few places online, also without complete biliographic info. I won't know
exactly what I got until it comes.

> > I'm guessing that the two books are:
> >
> > - "Leonard book" - VAX Architecture Manual, first edition, edited by
> > Timothy Leonard and published by Digital Press in 1987
> > - "Brunner book" - VAX Architecture Manual, second edition, edited by
> > Richard Brunner & Dileep Bhandarkar and published by Digital Press in
> > 1990
> >
> > The 1994 Digital Press catalog says the second edition "includes
> > important new material covering the VAX shared-memory model and new
> > vector processing extensions."  It presumably also includes a variety
> > of other revisions and corrections.  The book was written for public
> > consumption, based on, but different from, DEC Std 032.

Thanks. If all else fails we still have Bob Supnik's scans.