[Simh] [OT] What's the difference between the 1990 Brunner VAX Architecture book and the Leonard from 1987?

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 13:05:30 EST 2016

You'll get better answers if you're more explicit with your references.
Paul took at guess at what you meant. I'm going to make a different guess.

I'm guessing that the two books are:

- "Leonard book" - VAX Architecture Manual, first edition, edited by
Timothy Leonard and published by Digital Press in 1987
- "Brunner book" - VAX Architecture Manual, second edition, edited by
Richard Brunner & Dileep Bhandarkar and published by Digital Press in 1990

The 1994 Digital Press catalog
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/util/html/cltl/dp_catalog.html#Brunner>
says the second edition "includes important new material covering the VAX
shared-memory model and new vector processing extensions."  It presumably
also includes a variety of other revisions and corrections.  The book was
written for public consumption, based on, but different from, DEC Std 032.

Tom