[Simh] 8-bit pseudocolor on modern Windows PC?

Paul Hardy 2 paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 27 16:10:41 EST 2016

Paul Koning said:
>> 2. Handle 8 bit color, *including* updating the look of the display dynamically if entries in the color map are changed.  That would be  harder.
>> You'd have to keep a backing store of the 8-bit data, and regenerate the truecolor image whenever the color map is changed.  Doable, but messy.
>> Is #2 actually important in practice?

Well #2 is vital to me - the VMS software involved expects to be able to turn on and off and change colours of 'overlays' (implemented as one or more planes) such as a background raster image while keeping foreground vector map visible and doing dynamic temporary stuff in a 'refresh mode' plane.

Regards,

--
Paul  Hardy
Email:   paul at the paulhardy.net domain, web: www.paulhardy.net