[Simh] 8-bit pseudocolor on modern Windows PC?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 15:08:12 EST 2016

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> 2. Handle 8 bit color, *including* updating the look of the display dynamically if entries in the color map are changed.  That would be  harder.  You'd have to keep a backing store of the 8-bit data, and regenerate the truecolor image whenever the color map is changed.  Doable, but messy.
>
> Is #2 actually important in practice?
>
> Yes.  That's how the X Window System works.  Apps can use the color map for animation and other effects.

Ok, makes sense.

> I can't imagine doing SIMH emulation of the QDSS/Drag-on chip would be a productive use of time.  An implementation of PseudoColor visuals on TrueColor displays in the XServer would be more widely useful.

I wonder: doing it in XServer is the same thing as what I described for #2.  The only way to have it be simpler is with display hardware that has a color map, and it sounds like that's no longer done.  Maybe I'm confused...

A Dragon chip emulation would enable running VAX display software.  X of course, but also VAXWindows if you're so inclined.

	paul