[Simh] 8-bit pseudocolor on modern Windows PC?

Paul Hardy 2 paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 27 09:48:53 EST 2016

As a hobbyist, I successfully run VMS on a Simh emulated VAX (actually on a Raspberry Pi, but that’s irrelevant). I’m doing some software archeology trying to preserve some historic software which produced maps and charts on VAXstations and AlphaStations. This used 8-bit pseudocolor graphics, manipulating bit planes and colormaps. Variants of the software exist for VWS and for DECwindows/Motif.

A few years ago, I was successful in running the Motif version from a Windows PC running Cygwin/X, with a XDMCP session started using “-fullscreen -depth 8 -query myvax” to StartX.

However, I’ve recently tried again, on a more modern PC with Intel graphics and running Windows 10., and the Cygwin/X Xserver refuses to start.

[523428.531] winScreenInit - Using command line depth of 8 bpp

[523431.593] winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Could not set full screen display mode: 80004001

[523434.671] winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer

[523437.734] (EE) InitOutput - Couldn't add screen 0(EE)

I also tried MobaXTerm with a similar result.

Removing the depth 8 lets the Motif session start, but the VMS software then can’t handle the colour drawing of the map (no planes available).

Reading around the intertubes, it seems that modern Windows graphics devices don’t support 8-bit pseudocolor, and although I can see mention of code being added to Cygwin to emulate pseudocolor under Truecolor, it doesn’t seem to be in the current version.

Of course, it would be an alternative (a better one) if Simh supported 8-bit graphics devices itself – e.g. the VCB02/QDSS Dragon board of the VAXStation/GPX, or the SPX graphics board. However as far I can see it is only the monochrome VCB01/QVSS supported.

So,

a) Does anyone know of an Xserver implementation that runs under Windows on a modern PC and supports depth 8 pseudocolor visuals?

b) Does anyone know of a SimH implementation of the VCB02/QDSS or SPX card?

c) any other ideas?

Regards,

--

Paul  Hardy