[Simh] Overwrite last track and set badblocks

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Jan 21 10:48:54 EST 2016

Hi Will,

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 7:01 AM, Will Senn wrote:
> A quick couple of questions...
>
> 1. Why does SimH prompt to overwrite the last track on some images every
> time it runs, even if I let it, it will ask on the next run.
>
> 2. What is a use case for setting bad blocks and is it a one shot deal or does it
> need to stay in the .ini?

DEC shipped disk devices which were formatted at the factory.  Almost all
disk media had a very small percentage of the media which didn't perfectly
store data.  Certain modern, disk devices (MSCP) had spare sectors built into
the internal format information on the drives and they presented a full disk
of clean blocks to the system.  Older disks shipped with factory with a defect
table written in the last track of the device.  When an operating system
initially wrote file system data structures on a disk volume, it would allocate
the defective sectors to a BADBLOCK file on the disk and therefore those
sectors would be avoided for normal user data.  During the life of the disk
some areas might subsequently become bad.  If the OS detected these
later the newly identified areas would also be allocated to the BADBLOCK
disk file and the rest of the disk could still be used.

So, back to your original question.  The prompt about "overwriting the last
track" is intended to create an essentially empty list of defective sectors
for a newly created disk image (for the disk types which actually had this
'feature').  The intention is that you should be prompted for this (or could
provide a -Y switch on the attach command) ONLY when you are creating
a new disk image.  If you are being prompted with this question each
time you attach an existing disk image then there could be a bug.  Please
identify the simulator and the specific commands which generate this
prompt.

Thanks.

- Mark