[Simh] VT100 Color of text

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jan 9 14:28:30 EST 2016

Hi.

On 2016-01-09 17:58, Will Senn wrote:
> All,
>
> Having very vague recollects of having ever seen a real VT100, I came
> across the following picture while doing some research on RT-11:
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/RT-11_help.jpg
>
> I was surprised a little by the color of the text. In my minds eye, I
> had imagined either Amber or Green on black (the default on my Terminal
> windows). To my real eye, it looks blue. Given that the orange, manilla,
> and brown of the case look believable, it would seem that the VT100 had
> blue text. Is this correct and is it the only color of text on the
> machine? Does anyone know the hex RGB values?

The white balance in that picture is off. That is "white" text. VT100
were (as far as I can remember) also available with green and amber, but
white was definitely most common.

> A little more on topic and I've asked this question differently in the
> past, but now I think I have a better formulation of the question - are
> there SimH compatible video terminal simulators available and listed
> somewhere? The image of the VT100 made me think that interacting with a
> graphically detailed simulated VT100 attached to SimH is a qualitatively
> different experience than attaching a modern xterm telnet session to
> SimH and the same would be true for a VT11, a GT40 (see link below), or
> any of the terminals.
>
> http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/minicomputers/11/366/1961
>
> I still have a hankering to play a graphic version of lunar lander or
> spacewar on my Macbook Pro on an OS that I administer :).

Using a real VT100, or an xterm (or whatever) gives you pretty much the
same experience.

You cannot play Lunar Lander on a VT100. For that you would need a GT40.

	Johnny