[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 8 14:37:14 EST 2016

Clem,

On 8 Jan 2016, at 11:13 AM, Clem Cole wrote:

> I asked our (Intel's) corporate librarians to see if they could find X3.27-xxx and in particular -1969 (the original) and -1978 which was version 3.   I agree with Paul, that V3 (-1978) was the version that most people implemented. I seems to remember that, VMS started with V2 and upgraded to 3 - as I remember on VAX Serial #1 trying to read tapes from it on the 360 or the Univac was funky.
>
> I wish I could remember what changed between the versions.  I once knew, and I've sent a note to one of my old housemates that wrote some of the VMS tape support years ago.  He might remember/have some of this stuff.
>

> Anyway, I'm trying to find my old copies the documents, but I fear they might have been lost in the apt flood of a few years ago (I lost some historical stuff in that that my wife made to toss).   At one time, I had a photocopy of the -1969 with my IBM/360 files.  I know I still have one of the best document on using tapes CMUs Computer Center wrote in the early 1960s (I know I do still have it because I found that and referred to it last summer).  Anyway, I'll keep looking this weekend.
>
> BTW: the current version of the spec is not ANSI X3 mumble...  It's now called:   INCITS 27-1987 [S2008] http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS+27-1987%5bS2008%5d
>

> It's $60 from ANSI
>
> Clem
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 8, 2016, at 11:19 AM, khandy21yo <khandy21yo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > The programming manual that I foubd for rsrs.e documents it as 1.
> > Thats the only documentation I have for the format, so went with what I had, and compared it against rsts distribution tapes. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
>
> I should have been more specific.  According to the sources, RSTS V10.1 does ANSI label format version 3.  I don't know about older versions.
>
>         paul

X3.27-1978 (version 3) has a six page appendix spelling out the differences between -1969 and -1978.  From my brief perusal, the significant changes that affect our conversation look like the elimination of Record Formats V and U in the HDR2 labels.  I'm guessing there are very few version 1 tapes/tape images around.  That might be the only situation requiring resurrection of the -1969 standard.  The old RSTS 1976 doc might be good enough.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov