[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Wed Jan 6 21:27:23 EST 2016

Johnny,

On Jan 6, 2016, at 6:03 PM, <simh-request at trailing-edge.com> <simh-request at trailing-edge.com> wrote:

> Just a short comment. Linux/DECnet do not play right with RSX. The
> development was all done against VMS, and it would appear to have lots
> of bugs that were never ironed out. Success against anything except VMS
> is dicey at best (unfortunately).

Wish I had heard that before we got rid of our RSX-11M-Plus system!

It's true our experience with DECnet/Linux is from VMS.  For the last decades we used the RSX system entirely from VMS using DECnet's Task-to-Task feature to access custom UNIBUS hardware on a PDP-11/73 with a QNIVERTER.

Do you know if a SIMH RSX system would be able duplicate the errors you are talking about?  Do you have any clue whether the problems are in the Linux device driver or the applications?  I know there are some configuration hoops one has to jump through that seem to change with every new Linux kernel.  I did some hacking there to get it working.  But, I never had to hack the applications.  That being said, the only one we care about is DAP.

Feel free to drop me a note off-list if you think it is worth pursuing.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov