[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 6 21:24:31 EST 2016

On 2016-01-07 03:20, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2016-01-07 03:08, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed. That also works. But it is really problematic when copying
>>> data into
>>> the simulator, since this goes through the OS terminal driver, which
>>> have
>>> limitations. Pasting in data often leads to data loss in my
>>> experience. But
>>> copying out works fine.
>>
>> Actually, copying data into a simulator with paste has improved vastly
>> recently.
>> 10's of Kbytes of data pasted at once without data loss.  Give it a try.
>
> Uh? Really. How recent do I need it to be then?
> I'm on:
>   PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: e9b312f2
>
> Pasting the following:
> ---
> .w
>
> RSX-11M-PLUS BL88   (JOCKE ) 2044K PDP-11/94 at 02:41:45.0, 7-JAN-16
> Users=5  Idle=95%  Task=KERT5   Up: 0 days, 08:05.  Ticks=6  Errseq=0.
>
> user             task      uic     pri  where  state  size(K) ioc     par
> J Billquist     EMAT2    [ Self  ]  50  _TT2  WaitFor  5/31          GEN
> J Billquist     EMAT3    [ Self  ]  50  _TT3  WaitFor  5/31          GEN
> J Billquist     WHOT4  * [ Self  ]  50  _TT4  Running  1/4           GEN
> J Billquist     KERT5    [ Self  ]  50  _TT5  Running  11/72         GEN
> J Billquist    (In CCL)  [ Self  ]      _TT1
> ---
>
> Into another terminal gives:
> ---
> .pip nl:=ti:
> J Billquist     EMAT2    [ Self  ]  50  _TT2  WaitFor  5/31          GEN
> J Billquist     EMAT3    [ Self  ]  50  _TT3  WaitFor  5/31          GEN
> J Billquist     WHOT4  * [ Self  ]  50  _TT4  Running  1/4           GEN
> J Billquist     KERT5
> ---
>
> I doubt simh can do much more, except if I manage to get some delay
> involved, as it looks like the RSX terminal driver gets overflowed.
>
> The end result is the same, though. You basically can't paste that much
> into simh.

Sorry, the pasting example managed to get reproduced wrong. When I did
the paste, I did not include the command, nor the header output. No need
to redo that here, I just wanted to point out that this was my mistake,
if someone reacts that the start of the two pastes are not the same.

	Johnny