[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Jan 6 11:14:46 EST 2016

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> On 5 January 2016 at 20:29, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
> > By the way, I'm looking for folks to test the TU58 device (TDC) on the
> > various
> > PDP11 operating systems.  I've tested it on VMS and things work well.
> >
> RSTS/E supports the DECtape II, I'd test it, but please see my gripe...
>
> The current implementation of the TDC and DLI devices is not that great.
> With TDC enabled, you can't setup DLI, and vice versa. This is because TDC
> takes the address and vector of the first DL11/DLV11 serial line (because,
> naturally, the TU58 attached to said first serial line), and you can't change the
> address and vector settings on DLI to "shift" it to the next serial line.

This is a bug.  This didn't show up while testing on the VAX since the VAX
doesn't have DL device support.

The latest code fixes this problem and will now allow up to a total of 16
TDC controllers and/or DL lines.

Now that you can get beyond your initial configuration steps I'm still looking
for feedback about any device driver issues that may exist with various PDP11
operating systems when accessing TU58 devices.

Thanks.

- Mark