[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 20:14:40 EST 2016

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> The simulated paper tape device is very handy to copy text around between a host and simulated environment. My question for the group is, does RSTS/E 10.1-L support the paper tape device? The documentation is sketchy about it but does make a rare reference to PP: and PR: (help for SYSTAT for example), but it wasn't a question during sysgen and I can't figure out how to copy files to it. In RT-11, it's as simple as copy whatever PC: or copy PC: whatever...

Yes, RSTS does support those.  I don't know why Sysgen doesn't ask.  It doesn't ask about DECtape, either.  Perhaps they are no longer officially supported, but the software should be there and it should work.

After running sysgen but before running the resulting sysgen.com script, edit config.mac.  Look for the line that mentions PR11 and change the 0 to 1, then the next line (PP11) also 0 change to 1.  While you're there, if you want DECtape, change TC11 (just above PR11) to be the number of DECtape drives.  Typically that's an even number because a TU56 has two DECtape drives in it.

	paul