[Simh] Project update:

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Tue Jan 5 07:43:10 EST 2016

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> Now, ANF-10 was a network protocol used on some machines way back. I
> mostly used it on TOPS-10, but I don't know if some other systems also
> supported it. I'm also not entirely sure what physical links were used
> in real life, but it appears Bygg have started to get connectivity up
> between simulated machines all running ANF-10.

The only host system I know of is Tops-10.  You had (before ethernet)
serial lines, and the KI/KL based systems used PDP11-based nodes for
communication.

Anyhow, late yesterday evening I found and fixed one more bug, and now
it seems more or less to work, as in it has stayed up overnight and I
have managed to do both SET HOST and file xfer. Therfore, if anyone
wants to try it:

What it claims to be:

  http://www.pdc.kth.se/~bygg/tops/converter.jpg

The actual code:

  http://www.pdc.kth.se/~bygg/tops/anftunnel.tar

Script I use to set up a virtual lan inside my freebsd:

  http://www.pdc.kth.se/~bygg/tops/maketops.sh

What can this code do?  What is planned but missing?

* Tunnels, over tcp between hosts.             [works, more or less]

* Encryption and authentication for tunnels.   [planned]

* Documentation.                               [missing]

The code needs general cleanup, as well as a good overhaul of the DDCMP
routines.

The command used for connecting one KL (klh10, ethernet on ngeth1) and
one KS (my hacked simh 2.7, kmc/dup over udp, ports 3000/3001) is:

  ./anftunnel -E ngeth0 -U venus -p3000 -l3001 -de -x ngeth0 -n 1

> Ethernet barely existed when I used ANF-10, so I don't know if that is
> existing code, or if Bygg is also implementing ANF-10 over new physical
> links here.

There are NO changes to Tops-10 involved here.

> Anyway, getting an ANF-10 network up and running is pretty fun.

Yup.  Want to build an ANF-10 version of hecnet?

--Johnny