[Simh] Error in DMC11/DMR11 Emulation in RSTS/E 10.1

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:03:37 EST 2016

On 3 January 2016 at 20:24, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> I found why.  In pdp11_dmc.c, if a master clear is done on a DMR that is not currently attached, a micro-diagnostic failure status is posted.
>
> I'm not sure if that's a good idea.  In RSTS, this test happens at boot, and if at that time you're not attached, the device will be disabled because of that failure status.  Attaching later on then won't help.  It may be better for unattached to produce some more benign status (or, perhaps, simply to result in no communication so DDCMP startup will time out in the same way it would if the remote system were down).
>
> So attach the device in SIMH before boot, and things will work.
>
> Note that micro-diagnostics must be ENABLED for RSTS to work.  If it sees them disabled, it tries again; if they are still disabled (which of course they will be) that is treated as a failure and the DMR will be disabled.

I can confirm that that works. And that once DECnet/E is installed and
running no circuit initialization failures seem to occur. However
checking "show mux" still seems to show the DMR11 as disconnected.

Also, this might be more my inexperience, but I can't seem to figure
out how to get DECnet to "speak" to the other machine.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove