[Simh] Configuring DMC11 Devices

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Jan 3 07:19:50 EST 2016

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> So, I believe I'm having a bit of a "blonde moment" in trying to configure the
> DMC device in the PDP-11 simulator. I'm attempting to setup a point-to-point
> DDCMP link for DECnet between two PDP-11's running RSTS/E 10.1-L. The
> KMC11 (KDP) and DUP11 (DUP) devices do not work under RSTS/E 10.1-L; it
> only supports: the DMC11, DMR11, DMP11, and DMV11.
>
> What would be the correct way of configuring two simulators with DMC
> devices to connect?
>
> Trying it like such:
> SIMULATOR A:
> set DMC0 PEER=127.0.0.1:11085
> attach DMC0 11097,Connect=127.0.0.1:11085
>
> SIMULATOR B:
> set DMC0 PEER=127.0.0.1:11097
> attach DMC0 11085,Connect=127.0.0.1:11097
>
> Results in neither connecting. I have also tried omitting the "Connect="
> parameters on one or both; and using "localhost" in place of 127.0.0.1
> without success. I have also tried connecting a DUP device to a DMC device
> also without success.
>
> So, could someone please enlighten me as to the correct way to configure
> the DMC devices?

Well, HELP suggests the following

	sim> help dmc config example
	Device DMC is currently disabled
	DMC help.  Type <CR> to exit, HELP for navigation help
	Examples
	    To configure two simulators to talk to each other use the following
	    example:

	    Machine 1
	        sim> SET DMC ENABLE
	        sim> SET DMC0 PEER=LOCALHOST:2222
	        sim> ATTACH DMC0 1111

	    Machine 2
	        sim> SET DMC ENABLE
	        sim> SET DMC0 PEER=LOCALHOST:1111
	        sim> ATTACH DMC0 2222

You should be able to confirm that this is sufficient if you try connecting DMCs together when running 'known to work' OS configurations (these include VMS and RSX).

Meanwhile, since RSTS's drivers (or network startup code) have issued warnings about problems with the version of the device we can't really be sure that it is actually starting up the device.  The DMC device simulator won't try to connect to the peer until the simulated OS brings the device online.

If someone has RSTS DMC11 device driver source we could determine the details of the version requirements and/or other behavior that it needs.

- Mark