[Simh] Multiple telnet ports in SimH to RSTS/E 9.6

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 14:20:19 EST 2016

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 6:20 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2016-01-01 23:01, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Oh. And one other thing. Not only do you have to press enter twice, for BAUD rate, but the main console session has be be started and timesharing/system startup has to be finished before you can attach another telnet session. I think this may have been the problem I was having originally rather than the BAUD rate. I had started the telnet session and booted the disk, but I hadn't started timesharing, when I fired up telnet on port 10001.
>>
>> That makes sense.  Until you've started timesharing, you're in a program called INIT, which is essentially the RSTS OS loader.  It's a standalone program that talks only to the console, as well as the disks on which RSTS lives (and, in limited ways, the  tape drives for accessing RSTS kit tapes).   None of the other terminal lines are enabled at that time.
>>
>> If you say "Start" for "start timesharing" (instead of just entering Return or "Yes") it does a somewhat more verbose startup which tells you about each controller that's disabled because it's not visible.
>
> If I read Will right, it does not make sense. Yes, you will not get any response until timesharing have started, but you should be able to telnet into the port as soon as simh has started. And once timesharing is running, you should be able to get a response. I don't think there is any reason why you would have to have even doing the telnet until timesharing have started. I know that you don't have to wait under RSX.

Yes, it would seem reasonable that the telnet connection would go through.  And indeed it does.  I just ran that test.

Specifically, what happens when a RSTS system is in INIT: the telnet server in SimH accepts the connection, as usual.  But you do NOT get the "Connected to the PDP-11 simulator DZ device, line 0" message.

	paul