[Simh] KS10 IMP documentation

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Feb 29 17:26:33 EST 2016

  Yes, at least some versions of the original DDP516/H316 IMP code have been recovered; it is possible to run it on the simh H316 simulator, and I am at least partially to blame for that.  See

http://mailman.trailing-edge.com/pipermail/simh/2013-November/007672.html

  Of course, this just gets you a network of IMPs.   To do something useful you need a host that emulates the RFC1822 interface and talks to one of the IMPs.   Not too long ago Charles Anthony did that for the DPS8 and Multics, and I believe he actually got that working.  That was the first case of an actual host for the simulated IMP network.  It’d be fun to have another one, and if you have enough details about how the original hardware worked it should be possible to add the AN22/RFC1822 interface to the KS10 emulation.

  But, be aware that all the IMP software we have is from the early 70s and predates TCP.  I don’t know if there was ever any OS for the KS10 that supported NCP networking, but if there was then it’s possible you could get something running.

  Good luck!

Bob Armstrong