[Simh] Klh10 vs Simh

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Mon Feb 29 14:48:47 EST 2016

> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 10:35:12 +0100 (CET)
> From: Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE>

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> AFAIK, No Zork for ITS has survived, at least not in the dumps I have found
>>> publicly available.

> [snip]

>> I wonder how difficuly it would be to move the image that we have for
>> TOPS-20 back to ITS?

> Intriguing idea. Hmm. Would that even work?

There are 2 issues.  First, we only have the MDL environment in its TOPS-20
form, so system calls would have to be recreated.  Then, the actual ZORK binary
is an MDL dump file, tied explicitly to the particular version of MDL (v104, as
it happens) from which it was generated.

Somewhere in my collection of stuff I probably still have a tape of the source
for MDL v105, and there are archives of the MDL sources for a later version of
ZORK than the well-known executable.

I'll probably have time to look into it after I retire--in 2021.  Before then
is questionable.

                                                                Rich