[Simh] Klh10 vs Simh

TJ Merritt simh at tj.merritts.org
Sun Feb 28 19:57:38 EST 2016

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/80211-wireless-networks/0596100523/ch04.html

This provides some nice graphics for different topologies.  For bridging
to work (aka the simh), the WDS case is required.  Most consumer wifi
for mobile devices figure that they only have to support their own MAC
address and do not support WDS correctly. That is why SimH on your
laptop cannot tunnel packets sent over WiFi.  It's out going packets go
out to the AP in infrastructure mode (Fig. 4-10).  The RA is the Mac
address of the base station, SA is the MAC address of the laptop, and DA
is the dest. address from the tap/tun interfaces ethernet frame.  Note
that the source address from the frame has now been dropped.   The Reply
packet to SimH will be received by the laptop (Fig. 4-9) with DA set to
the MAC address of the laptop's WiFi interface, TA set to the base
stations Mac Address, and SA set to the source address from the original
ethernet frame.  Note that the SimH MAC address is not included, so the
frame will not be bridged to the tap/tun interface and seen by SimH.
If WDS is used, then you can still have issues with base stations not
processing the frames correctly.  Higher end WiFi access points
generally work correctly, but it doesn't help you run SimH on your
laptop with a consumer grade WiFi interface.  Any easy way to see what
is happening in your configuration is to run tcpdump on the wifi
interface of your laptop.  You will likely see the frames that should go
to SImH being received by the laptop, but the destination ethernet
address will be that of the laptop not that of the SimH tap/run
interface.  Your host OS won't know what to do with them, and they will
be dropped by your laptop.