[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 17:49:51 EST 2016

> BTW, I think that plugboard programming, other than for some business
> applications with IBM "accounting machines", disappeared rather quickly as
> Von Neumann machines appeared.  That too would be interesting to look
> for.

I am not so sure about that. Older technology often continued in use long after it was produced. In the 50's, 60's and 70's they took the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" paradigm seriously.

So IBM punch card accounting machines, complete with plug boards were still in use in 1974 when I did my "Industrial placement" at a Life Insurance Company. I was taught Analog Computer programming, using of course plug boards. Some not so early mini computers used "ferrite core rom" where you dropped a ferrite core into a coil to set a bit.

> 	paul

Dave
G4UGM