[Simh] Klh10 vs Simh

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Sat Feb 27 15:34:16 EST 2016

> On Feb 27, 2016, at 8:53 AM, Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com> wrote:
>
> It's not that multiuser is impossible using KLH10 networking emulation and native TOPS-20 TCP/IP, it's that it's a lot harder to set up than a SIMH virtual multiplexer. Wifi (under Linux at least) doesn't play all that well with bridging and virtual networking stuff, which makes setting up networking in KLH10 nigh impossible for those of us stuck on wireless. I can't even really set up a VM and run KLH10 in a guest, because Virtualbox's bridged mode doesn't work for me. Additionally, the idea of putting anything running a 30 year old TCP/IP stack onto the Internet scares me, even if the folks at twenex.org <http://twenex.org/> have done so.

Actually, I’ve been thinking that if I wanted to do any reasonably serious retrocomputing stuff, I might want to invest in a VPS. At least, the uptime would be better, and I could use, say, screen and ssh as a remote console. That would have a dedicated non-wireless network connection.

Long term, I’d love to see better wifi support, but I understand that’s hard with the technology as it is.