[Simh] Unix v0 - gleanings from the sources

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 26 17:56:49 EST 2016

On 26-Feb-16 16:22, Bob Supnik wrote:
> I thought the full listing was on Bitsavers, but apparently not -
> maybe because it's huge (110MB). I've put a copy up temporarily here:
>
> https://mega.nz/#!DB5nTRZI!aMQ_0UN7LfyJvep1_e9dP1RZsZyd5fASOivgPSaqZyk
>
> The listing does raise a lot of questions, like, why are there PDP-9s
> with RD10s on them (the RD10 was the KA10's fixed head disk)? I can't
> find documentation on the RD10 either.
>
> It would be nice if someone could OCR this, which would make it both
> searchable and usable for analysis.
>
> /Bob
I believe RD10 doc is on the (LCG) field service microfiche set.
My copy is at CHM.

I took a stab at OCR & failed.  Google can't deal with it at all.
Neither can several of the free on-line services.  (Google is usually
the quickest way to OCR - anything you upload to a google drive is
OCRd.  Well, it tries.

Will take someone with time to train, tweak and correct - and commercial
software.  I know some on this list have ABBYY...

I noticed that there are actually two files in the PDF, from two
different dates, printed on two different KA10 systems.
The first from 3-oct-72 on system 246.  The second from 15-apr-73 on
system 169.  Both running a 504Amonitor and LPTSPL V4 - long before
GALAXY came to pass.   (And if I can get those sources off 'my' tapes at
CHM, that's before the batch sources were converted to lowercase
comments.  What a joy that was for SOUPing in local patches...)

(Yes, DEC ran the company on PDP-10s for many years.)