[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 09:23:25 EST 2016

Hello!
Interesting.

I was only reporting what I remember as to the history of the whole
example we call UNIX.

And last year at the Vintage Computer Festival East, (Yes Dave W, the
same one where we crossed paths.), I saw a PDP-11 system having
finished dumping his program output to a TTY setup. I commented then
that the instructions shown resembled an 6502 one, I was also thinking
of the original 6800, but did not say that, and then it wasn't until I
walked away that I thought of a 68000, but only because I was inspired
by something I had read regarding the history of what was used in the
first Mac or its ancestor. And then continuously until much later when
reason caused Apple to switch to the PowerPC. Let's not discuss the
decision to switch to Intel.

And yes, I did recall that UNIX (or BSD) was both written in C and in
the host's version of Assembler. But I didn't put that down.

But I believe we are going around in circles here.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com