[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 26 08:48:32 EST 2016

On 2016-02-26 01:50, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>      When Ken Thompson coded UNIX it was in assembly. The first versions
> anyway before B/NB/C. Is there in existance pdp11 (45 or 70 ?) intterupt
> (vector) lists or IRQs and so, registers that shows how to code in
> assembly on a pdp11? I am sure simh does it. Isn't what the "dep"
> command is for?

I'm not sure what you ask for. The first version of Unix was for a
PDP-7, so any PDP-11 information is irrelevant.
UNix was then ported to the PDP-11, and was still written in assembler.
It was then rewritten in C, however, there are still parts that are
written in assembler. Not everything can be done in C...

	Johnny