[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Bill Cunningham billcun at suddenlink.net
Thu Feb 25 21:34:51 EST 2016

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Clem Cole
  To: Bill Cunningham
  Cc: SIMH
  Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [Simh] pdp11 and unix

  On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Bill Cunningham <billcun at suddenlink.net> wrote:

    When Ken Thompson coded UNIX it was in assembly.
  ​Correct...​

    The first versions anyway before B/NB/C
  ​I do not think that is 100% correct.  B and early UNIX sort of come about at the same time.   B (and its pseudo model - BCPL) has only one data type (a word) and that works because UNIX was originally implemented on a word addressed machine.

  NB/C comes out when the Ken starts moving to the 11 which was byte addressed, as opposed to word addresses of it's predecessors.

  What model PDP was the first UNIX written on. All I know of s the PDP11.

  Bill