[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 21 07:29:10 EST 2016

On 2016-02-17 15:50, Will Senn wrote:

> On 2/17/16 5:38 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:
>> .
>>
>> I put accurate timing options into card and printer devices a while
>> back, and the effect is dramatic.
>> 1,000 LPM from a printer is noisy and you see the paper flying by.  But
>> some quick math reminds
>> us that a typical 55 line page means 18 pages/min, so your 100 page
>> listing takes about 5 1/2 minutes
>> to print.  If you're the first job in a queue.
>>

> Timothe,
>
> As far as I can tell, the PDP-11 I'm running is as fast as the Macbook
> Pro I'm running it on and I like it that way :). 5 1/2 minutes for a
> listing? Ouch.

Well, you need to understand that 5 1/2 minutes is not because of any
processor speed issues.
It's just physical limitations of a line printer. Simple math...
If your printer prints 1000 lpm, 55 lines per page, means 18 pages/min,
means 100 pages takes 5 1/2 minutes, like Tim wrote.

Any CPU could easily produce data faster, but the printer will still not
print it any faster than this.

	Johnny