[Simh] VAX/VMS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 21 07:25:00 EST 2016

Clem, I'm in a way not surprised that Intel pretends it invented and
owns this, but I'm a bit sad if you do not acknowledge history. But
maybe you cannot because of company policy or something. What do I know?
However, noone in a sane state of mind believes that Intel invented the
64 bit extensions to the x86.
The truth is well known, and you can read up on it from Wikipedia, or
why not just read the original AMD specification from 2000.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_K8)

Intel was *not* planning to extend the x86 to 64 bits. Intel had a plan
for 64 bit computing, and it was called Itanium. However, as we all
know, Itanium had problems, and was slow to the market (and was not
delivering on the performance promises either). Meanwhile AMD decided to
do a 64 bit extension to the x86 instead, and got that to the market,
and customers loved it. Pretty much all larger companies had committed
to Itanium, but once AMD pushed their 64 bit x86 out, companies started
to falter, and one after another, they dumped their Itanium plans, until
only HP was left (which is where we are today). Meanwhile everybody was
jumping on the x86-64 bandwagon, and Intel also realized they needed to
be there. Yes, Intel owns the "Intel 64" name. Who cares? Noone uses
that name (well, maybe except for Intel). Intel didn't even call it
"Intel 64" from the start. Earlier they used the names "IA-32e" and "EM64T".
AMD owns the "AMD64" name. Few uses that name either.
Most people just call it "x86-64", or "x64".

The first processor released that implemented the x86-64 instruction set
was the AMD K8.

Yes, additional extensions have been done to the instruction set since,
but they are extensions, not changes. The latest Intel processors can
still run the code that is compiled for the AMD K8.

For a more complete list of some details that do differ, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Differences_between_AMD64_and_Intel_64.
The truth is that for common people, the differences are irrelevant, and
more feel like political bickering, and ways of being able to say "we
did not copy the AMD solution", while in reality they did.
Like I said, the AMD K8 was first, and a program written for that
processor will in reality run also on the latest Intel processor.

Intel didn't choose that the "Intel 64" should be backwards compatible.
It was already decided. Intel itself had already chosen an incompatible
way forward - the Itanium. The "Intel 64" was merely Intel's copy of the
AMD64.

We, the consumers, benefited (well, maybe) from the fact that AMD
decided to do a backward compatible 64-bit extension to the x86. And
that Intel picked that up (and sortof gave up on the Itanium, even if
that one is taking a long time to die. But it's getting close now...)

Anyway, that's that.

As far as compatibility goes, like we both said, Intel have been
ensuring backward compatibility all along. Anyone who claims/blame them
for not doing that just don't know what they are talking about. (Unless
we talk about when Intel knowingly have not been backward compatible,
but that is ok. The Itanium was not meant to be backwards compatible,
nor was the iAPX432, i860 or i960, but all have failed. But that's a
different story.)

	Johnny