[Simh] DECWRITE backup set pt 2

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Sat Feb 20 20:57:41 EST 2016

Hi Timothe and Gary,

I'm the other person who replied to Gary's questions and I think I can
clarify some issues.

You are correct, X11 Display Postscript was removed from VMS in version 7.3
for various reasons, I think foremost among them was that Adobe no longer
wanted to support it because they were busy with PDF.  (They took the
lessons from PostScript and created PDF to be better for both screen and
print.)

The first step to get DECwrite running on VMS 7.3 or later is to get the
XDPS shareable images from an earlier version.  I can't recall if the
upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3 deleted them or left them in place, but in either
case you will need the file SYS$SHARE:XDPS$DPSLIBSHR.EXE from the VMS 7.2
distribution, and maybe XDPS$DPSBINDINGSSHR.EXE and XDPS$DPSCLIENTSHR.EXE
also.  Those files are used by any application which incorporates DPS
functionality, such as DECwrite.

However, DECwrite is quite happy to work with an X11 server that does *not*
have the Display PostScript Extension.  This is because DPS is only used for
displaying "Encapsulated PostScript" (EPS) docuemnts.  EPS was the mechanism
created to allow PostScript to be embedded in multi-media document.  If you
don't need to display an EPS element you won't need DPS.  (I have DECwrite
running on a headless VAXstation 4000-96 using my Linux workstation as the
X11 server, which doesn't have the DPS extension).

DECwrite does not use DPS to do screen formatting, unless it's got an EPS
element in the document.  If you're creating your own documents you can
embedded other graphics formats in the document -- anything supported by
DEC's Compound Document Architecture model (other than PostScript).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

	Jeremy Begg