[Simh] examine octal and ascii in SimH

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:09:37 EST 2016

On 2/20/16 11:26 AM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Will Senn wrote:
>>> On Feb 20, 2016, at 10:53 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net>
>>>
> What Paul was saying is that how the examine command is displayed is up to details implemented in individual simulators, but that there is some attempt to have switches which mean the same thing from one simulator to another.  See:
>      sim> HELP EXAMINE SWITCHES
> Beyond the standard switches, the PDP11 simulator interprets the -B switch to mean display bytes since the machine, although byte addressable, is a word oriented machine.  See: doc/pdp11_doc.doc for more details as well.
>
> - Mark
Mark,

Thanks. I appreciate the clarification. The -B switch works fine, I
really appreciate the tip, but it doesn't appear to be documented that I
can tell. Here's what help says:

PDP-11 Commands Examining and Changing State Subtopic? switches

Switches
     Switches can be used to control the format of display information:

             -a                 display as ASCII
             -c                 display as character string
             -m                 display as instruction mnemonics
             -o                 display as octal
             -d                 display as decimal
             -h                 display as hexadecimal

And I don't see it in pdp11_doc.doc either. I checked the latest git
version as well.

Thanks,

Will