[Simh] Reading directly from console in RT-11

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 12:48:51 EST 2016

> On Feb 20, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great answer and helpful. I'll give both approaches a shot. If I understand my environment correctly, RT-11 is single user, single job (well, most of the time anyway). So, it oughta be safe enough to try this without messing things up beyond needing to restart if I have logic errors? That is, the file system isn't involved or caching or anything that would cause inconsistency as a result of an infinite loop or crash? Not that I would ever code such things :)!

RT comes in several flavors, of which I know the SJ and FB (foreground/background) flavors, V2 specifically.  Both are unprotected operating systems, so you can play with I/O devices at will.

Also, in those there definitely is no caching in the file system.  For that matter, the file structure is simple enough that there really isn't anything to go "inconsistent".  A crash in mid-operation might cause a file not to be there if it was being written, but that's about it.  The only exception I can think of is the file system defrag operation, but then again that one may be written in a fault tolerant manner, I don't know.

	paul