[Simh] Reading directly from console in RT-11

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 19 17:22:11 EST 2016

On 19-Feb-16 17:13, Will Senn wrote:
> Timothe,
>
> Thanks for responding. This sounds reasonable. I'm ok with using the
> .TTYOU and .TTYIN macros which call EMT's for actual programs in
> RT-11. But, while learning, there are some things like this that I
> want to do that may be tricky/ill advised to do in RT-11.
>
> What do you think the easiest way is to load a program like this
> directly onto the bare hardware (simulated, of course)?
>
> Thanks,
Link it as an absolute image (no libraries), transfer to your host by
network or paper tape, load with sim> load.

Or if you are ambitious, just run it under RT11, set IPL to 7 and
execute a RESET instruction.  That will disable all the peripherals, and
you can start writing your own OS.  You'll have to set up your own trap
and interrupt vectors.  Memory management if you want it...

I don't recommend the ambitious route unless you have a lot of time and
a high tolerance for pain.