[Simh] Recent build crashes on OSX

Michael Huff mphuff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:15:45 EST 2016

On 2/17/16 11:07 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:
> On 17-Feb-16 14:59, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> If I had to guess, it would be that the shared drive is not presenting
>>> the same data to both environments.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's treating the binary file as text and adding <CR><LF>s -- or
>>> some such.
>>>
>>> I'd checksum the file from both sides before assuming it's a SimH issue.
>> That is a good test, certainly.  But OSX is Unix, so it shouldn't suffer from the sort of Windows-style misbehavior you mentioned.
> I know.  But it does depend on how the file is shared, and from where.
> Is the real file on OSX?  On Windows?  On an NAS?  Shared over SMB?  NFS?
The file is on an external hard disk formatted as NTFS; I have a device
driver installed on OSX to make the filesystem read/write, and it's
mounted as a shared folder in virtualbox.
> Especially SMB has been known to do very strange things.
>
> Well, I see that md5sums match, so it's not that this time.
>> I wonder if it might be a compiler bug.  It would be instructive to download gcc and use that to build the OSX based SIMH, to see if it behaves differently.
> Yup.
>
> The symptom looks like data corruption.  The instruction at the faulting
> PC is not likely a real one.
>
>> 	paul

I built it in Linux with gcc 4.8; I'm trying to install gcc 4.8 in
macports on OSX but it has to compile which will probably take some
time. After it's done I'll recompile simh and see if it works then.