[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 17 15:11:06 EST 2016

On 17-Feb-16 15:02, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Larry Baker <baker at usgs.gov> wrote:
>>
>> If you really want the RT-11 experience, try running it off RX01 floppies.  My first experience with DEC PDP-11's was a PDP-11/34 (not 34A; no FPU) running RT-11 off floppies.  Ka-klunk, ka-klunk!
> Yes, but that's still quite a lot faster than running it on DECtape.
>
> Still, the amazing part is that RT on DECtape actually works.  It's the only DEC OS I know of for which that is true.
>
> 	paul

Early versions of TOPS-10 not only ran from DECtape, they swapped on it.

I'm pretty sure OS/8 (or one of the family members) also ran on DECtape.

RSX20F, the front end for the KL10, and KLDCP (its predecessor) run on
DECtape.  But painfully slowly.

The 1091 and the 2040 onwards switched to the much faster 8" floppy.