[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 17 06:38:16 EST 2016

.
On 17-Feb-16 06:18, Henry Bent wrote:

> My final note is: if you're curious about something, just try it!
> Make a backup of your current working system and then go wild.  That's
> the fun of SIMH.  Want to see if RT-11 will recognize an RA82?  Or
> sixteen RC25s?  Does RT-11 work with a TU56 DECtape?  I have no idea
> what the answer to any of those questions is, but I know how to find out.

I ran RT-11 on DECtape c.a. 1975 -- well, a third party hardware
emulation of one, as we couldn't afford DECtape.

It was an exercise in patience, but it did work.

We were thrilled when we were able to get a third-hand RK05.  (Less
thrilled with the Field Service bill to get it
installed and under contract ... )

I haven't looked at the SimH TU56, but unless it emulates the
positioning times as accurate wall-clock times,
you really won't get the proper experience.

I put accurate timing options into card and printer devices a while
back, and the effect is dramatic.
1,000 LPM from a printer is noisy and you see the paper flying by.  But
some quick math reminds
us that a typical 55 line page means 18 pages/min, so your 100 page
listing takes about 5 1/2 minutes
to print.  If you're the first job in a queue.

If you just want the output of a program, running at hyperspeed is
fine.  But you miss out on a lot.
Like actually thinking before you print.  Not to mention wait-time food.

Now, if someone would just add a simulation of the surly operator who
brings you the output
1/2 hour after it was printed...  because emptying the printer was
rarely a high priority task.

:-)